We offer expert advice and practical support to families and individuals who are, or will be, in the news. Exposure to the media can be a bewildering experience for anyone unused to intense pressure from journalists. Our services – all of which are provided at no cost to our clients – include giving impartial advice, negotiating on your behalf and feature-writing.
Being approached by the media can be daunting, especially if you are not used to media attention. We’ve put together a step-by-step guide on what to do if you find yourself under the media spotlight. Take time to consider the options. If you want to have an independent, confidential chat with one of our consultants get in touch on 0117 9076934.
- Normally there’s no rush to make a decision, and it’s important to take some time to consider all the options before speaking to the press. Don’t tell your story until you are ready.
- Think about how you want your story to be told. Find out who’s interested, and make sure you’re happy with their style and they way they work. Not all magazines are to everyone’s tastes.
- Get any proposals put in writing. It’s common for freelance journalists, not representing a publication, to offer a fee without a magazine or newspaper backing it. Make sure you know who you’re talking to.
- Pay particular attention to the small print. Check that signing a contract won’t hinder your future plans to speak to other media, and that your interview cannot be syndicated to other media. If a payment is offer, check when it will be paid and if there are any circumstances in which it could be withheld.
- Never speak “off the record” about your story. Speaking to any reporter might result in your story being published without your consent and irrespective of your wishes.
- Always ask if you can approve the article. Most publications should allow you to read the article, and approve it before publication.
- Finally, consider how the publication of the story might impact on you and your family.
Many of our former clients have found it useful to choose a reputable agency to act on their behalf. Working with Sell My Story, and its experienced consultants, you will remain in control of your story at all times. You’ll have unrivalled access to our knowledge, contacts and expertise, giving you the chance to manage the media on your terms. We do not charge commission – we are paid direct by the media.
For more information about Sell My Story, have a look at our company history.
To discuss your situation in confidence please call 0117 9076934 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.